Update: At the moment, all US citizens to Vietnam must obtain 1-year multiple entry visa. No other options for visa types are available for US travelers. And at the moment, there are two ways to obtain a Vietnam visa for US citizens: apply for visa via Vietnam embassy and apply for Vietnam visa on arrival. And in this post, we deal with how to obtain the visa at Vietnam embassy in US only. This guide is sourced from official website of the embassy of Vietnam in US.
1. Methods of application
A VISA to Vietnam can be applied for by mail or in person at the Embassy.
2. Required documents
1. Hard copy of completed application form (to be downloaded on website of the embassy)
Completed form must be printed out, signed and attached with 01 photo (passport size 2×2 inches) . In case of a loose-leaf-visa request, 01 additional photo must be stapled to the form.
2. Original PASSPORT (which requires at least 01 month validity prior the date of exit from Vietnam and/or 06 month validity to meet airlines’ requirements). In urgent cases, a loose-leaf-visa can be requested, then a copy of passport (photo and personal detail pages) may be submitted instead of the original passport.
3. Visa fees must be in the form of MONEY ORDER, or CASHIER’S CHECK, or COMPANY CHECK payable to “EMBASSY OF VIETNAM.” Applicants applying together may submit combined payment in one money order or one check. Other current fees (such as visa approval arrangement fee, processing fee, shipping, handling and expedite services) may be checked at:
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: 202 8610737 ext. 118/121/122/123/125/ 129
4. A prepaid return envelope, if the applicant requests the visa be returned by mail.
Diplomatic and official visas will be granted GRATIS unless otherwise agreed upon between Vietnam and the applicant’s country. In addition to the documents specified in (I), the applicant must submit a visa approval telex number, a diplomatic note or an official letter from the relevant agencies of the US Government, Embassies or Consulates accredited to the United States, and international organizations.
3. Processing Time: Five business days are required to process visa applications with approval. Expedited processing will take one to two business days after the Embassy receives the application (additional fee required).
Note: Please keep the tracking numbers of the envelopes to and from the Embassy. When the above deadlines have passed, use the tracking number to check with the mailing service first.
Please do not make telephone inquires on the status of your application (make sure that you keep your passport number for this request) until after the 1st business day for an expedited case and the 3rd business day for a regular case.
The Embassy will be closed on Saturday, Sunday. Please take into consideration US and Vietnamese holidays when you plan your visa application. In addition, no mail can be delivered at the Embassy during weekends and holidays.
For further information, please contact the Consular Section of the Embassy:
- Opening hours: 9:30 AM – 12:00 PM and 02:30 PM – 05:00 PM Monday through Friday at the Embassy
- Telephone: 2028610737 ext. 118/121/122/123/125/129/113
- Fax: 202 861 0917
- Website: http://www.vietnamembassy.us
- Address: 1233 20th Street, NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036